Wednesday, April 04, 2007
2:25 PM
Last night, I abandoned all my notes to celebrate Yen Yeng's 21st birthday by the beach in Tanjung Bungah!
Jelina, BoonSin n I had walked out to buy KFC takeaways earlier in the evening cos it was Tuesday n those with the KFC card can get 30% off their meals. Had plans to enjoy my KFC Snack Plate then go to the Foyer at 9pm to meet a friend for discussion and surf the internet there.
So there I was in my room happily eating my whipped potato after finishing the coleslaw n bun. Excitingly waiting for the moment I stain my hands with the fatty oil from my Hot & Spicy chicken. Ooh.. Savouring every scoop of my whipped potato while eyeing my hard-to-resist chicken in the box. Last scoop left! *Heart beating faster*… Slowly putting the container while licking my lips… Hands reaching out to the poor deep fried chicken…
Telephone rings!
Aargh…
Me: Hello?!
YP: Hey, you going to Yen Yeng's birthday celebration rite?
Me: WHAT??!! Her birthday today?? NOW celebrate? What are you talking about?
BC: Hey darling, today is Yen Yeng's bday lah… we're now on the way from Queensbay to pick you up.
Me: WHHAATTT???!!! NOW? NOOWW??!!
I have a discussion later with my fren. And I just bought KFC!!! I wanna eat it!"
BC: Aiyah.. Who's tht? Meet for what? Tell tht fella tmr la…
Me: BUT BUT I have my KFC!
BC: It's okay.. Pls come la… you can bring your chicken and everything with you! Don worry bout the presents, we included you in everything.
Me: Erm.. (Lost for words) Where are you going???
BC: We're going to the beach.. Yen Yeng will be coming to fetch you.. Get ready k?
Me: Oh man… now then only you tell… Ok ok… Bye!
My appetite went from roaring to dying…
Fren's come first… Anyway the thought of escaping my room was more tempting! Packed the chicken, threw on decent clothes n off I went.
We went to the beach behind Crown Prince Hotel and Paradise Hotel. The place was great cos there was a sort of open lounge at the back of the Paradise Hotel by the beach and we sat directly outside tht lounge.. So, there was great music and atmosphere throughout the nite. The weather was also fantastic.. It was the time in Penang where it'll look like it's goin to rain but won’t till who knows when. Lightning flashes once in a while here n there… that's all. The sea breeze was damn refreshing too!
BC who shall be known as "The Chef" had cooked our picnic dinner all by herself since 3pm. There was superb salad, scrumptious spaghetti, fabulous fried rice, handmade chicken meat balls, nuggets and the stuff. Birthday gal brought sushi along too! For a moment, my KFC was forgotten. Anyway, my KFC was made as a bet to the winner who guessed correctly who the mysterious person in BC's car was. Turns out, the other person who din add up was our fren's roommate and YS won. There goes my KFC….
All 11 of us had fun. Even though we had more fun than the bday gal bcos we get to tease her. who got smashed by the tiramisu cake while picking out the blown candles with her mouth and forced to kiss her bf on the lips while we took many "failed" pics of them. Haha..
Ok.. I started writing this blog with nothing in mind. Now I've gone too far off track.. Back to my topic today… While at the beach party last nite, someone asked me which school I came from. And when I replied Convent JB, tht fella answered "Oh Convent, no wonder your command of English is good. My sisters were also from Convent and they all had weird slang like you. Convent girls all have this weird English slang." (can't quite remember wat was said but it meant something like tht la..)
I dropped dead at the last sentence.
"Weird??" How weird is it? And wat do you mean by weird?
To all my Convent friends out there. Has anyone ever told you your english was weird?
I'd say he's the weird one.
But surprisingly, I felt a strong feeling of pride that I was a Convent gal last nite. Though he said our English was weird, who cares? I'm only interested in the part when he said our command of English was good. Seriously, compared to other schools, no offense, but I must say that overall, Convent gals' English is pretty damn good (in M'sian standards). Be it from the first or last class, our English will definitely beat those from say..SETA? If I weren't in Convent from P1-F5, I don think I would be typing this blog in English rite now. It could be jolly well be in 华文。
Furthermore, the Convent culture is something very unique that can't be found anywhere. Don’t you think so? There's something special in the way students and teachers interact (I know Grumpy is going to be fuming mad while reading this blog.. Just bear with me =D) It’s a school where everyone knows everyone. No one is left out. Maybe because my school was small, but I like it that way. You will never feel alienated in Convent.
Hence, I am PROUD to say that I am a Convent gal.
Once a Convent gal, always a Convent gal!
The school song rings true…
"Though far we roam from our ancient home,
Our thoughts will often stray,
Back to these happy Convent days,
Where our hearts are warm and gay..."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
wah... nice blog.... i like it!!! CONVENT RULES!!! and what is that fella's problem la? weird english? cheh!
No, our English is not weird, probably too good for him! Haha! Because I realise our English proficiency is somewhat better than those "capalang" ones in where I am now, and we speak good English, even if sometimes it's a bit in a Manglish way. BUT at least we know our Ps and Qs, and people recognise us for that!
Grumpy may disagree with us that Convent RULES (hehe), but I think there's a lot more stuff to rant about about the other schools around JB!
I <3 Convent!
erm, firstly i DON'T think my command of english is good..
then erm, convent has no culture unless u count the teacher blasting you off AFTER u greet her, or that they FORCE you into slavery by carrying the bags that THEY themselves can't afford to carry up 3 freaking flights of stairs?
and erm, student-teacher interaction? like hell yeah only when teacher yells and student shuts up.
and no one knew me,and hell yeah i felt alienated so to hell with convent may it drown in the muddy flood waters one fine day.
I knew grumpy will blow her top reading this entry... Calm down babe... Erm...just wanted to say our english is slightly better than others... including yours dear. ok gal... relax... =P
Post a Comment