May 31, 2007

Being Chinese

Ioly and I were talking about this Aussie angmoh who could speak Mandarin.

I said, "I can't speak Mandarin in front of him because he would understand."

She said, "Yeah cos he speaks better than you? HAHAHA."

No. Not at all offended. *GAWDEMMIT OF COURSE I AM.*

I think she has never heard me speak Mandarin before. Just because he sounds more China doesn't make him a better speaker. Just because my Mandarin is mixed with Malay and English doesn't make me less of a good Mandarin speaker.

*

In my first year during Intro to Chinese Society and Culture (my elective), the lecturer (who is ang moh) asked me a question regarding chinese during lecture.

I stared at him, and I was like, "That's a very good question."

Matthew, who sat next to me, who's angmoh, answered it instead. MALU CAN.

I stared at Matt and was like, "How do you know that?"

He said he doesn't sleep during the videos in lectures. Which led him to continuously nudge me when I sleep. Seriously so boring listening to Mao bla bla talking bout whatever he was talking about okay.

*

Anyways my point is, so many ang mohs are learning the chinese culture and the chinese language, yet so many chinese are shying away from their identities. Which in my humble opinion, is very stupid.

SO many chinese are proud of the fact that they can't speak Mandarin, read/write Chinese. How come none of them are proud of the fact that they can't speak English? IF you're going to say English is an international language, just go to a European country and see if anyone speaks that to you.

Oh oh! Something funny to share. One time, in Primary 3 or 4, I corrected a friend. She pronounced "honest" as "ho-nest". I told her, without laughing at her, that the correct way is "o-nest", "h" is silent. She didn't believe me. She then said the word in front of the whole class and everyone bwahahaha laughed at her. Okay, irrelevant.

Some Chinese treat the label "banana" as a compliment, yet they don't realise how insulting it is to be called that. Why do they think listening to chinese songs is uncool? That speaking Mandarin is of no class?

Of course I'm not saying to be extreme and only listen to chinese songs, only speak Mandarin because you're Chinese. I'm just pointing out that you don't have to be ashamed of your race.

So please just stop being so lame and get a life. Listen to some chinese songs once in a while, speak Mandarin to your fellow chinese, IT WON'T KILL YOU.

This post is not meant to offend anyone, although it may come off that way. If you want to get offended, be my guest I don't care because if you are that means I just very truthfully described who you really are - A LOSER.

4 comments:

sleepy said...

"...everyone bwahahaha laughed at her."

You bloody crack me up!!! lol... =D

华文 is cool! We love Lee Hom & Jay Chou don't we??? huhuhu.... ^.^

RojakM@uM@u said...

i think it all comes down to their environment when they grew up. if they can't speak mandarin, can't blame them. but if they can't speak and are reluctant to learn, THEN it is not right. i think for myself, i was lucky growing up in a family of mandarin speakers, so even if i only listen to english songs [not because i despise the chinese language, but i seriously can't stand mandopop. mandopop for me, is a lot of talentless pretty faces]. i enjoy watching taiwanese variety shows though, that's how i learnt my mandarin too. came across this one guy in cbox who was a full-blown banana, and i think he went ballistic went someone called him that. i told him, you shouldn't be angry at what they say to you, because it IS true, so accept it. and because this is due to your family upbringing, it is who you are. i can understand some ppl would like to communicate in mandarin but dont have the means to, because they simply weren't brought up speaking mandarin! these ppl are ok. but those who are soooo proud of being non-mandarin speakers, i am appalled at their behaviour. because i am proud to be a chinese. and i would like to visit the great wall of china before i die. serious.

kimijun said...

what i noticed from CERTAIN convent girls are they grew up NOT speaking english and ONLY mandarin, but now somehow they've lost the ability to speak mandarin yar that's what pisses me off.

lalala

kimijun said...

omg yes LEE HOM!! and JAY CHOU!!
yar rojak, these 2 chinese artistes are worth listening two, they're the most talented chinese stars around!
leehom plays like, a dozen instruments and jay....plays something too!